The short answer is yes, all high voltage systems can be dangerous. Two main concerns when designing and testing a high voltage system are:
The danger high voltage devices can present to users increases as the amperage increases. Many people have experienced relatively high voltage shocks without realizing it. Any time you feel a static discharge after walking across the carpet in your socks, or when you touch your car after getting out, you have felt the effects of high voltage electricity. Most of these shocks are harmless unless you have some sort of medical condition.
Harmful or fatal electric shock normally comes from sources with higher amperage, like a wall socket or powerline.
High voltage shocks can melt circuits and render them useless if they are not designed correctly.
Modern technology is tested to withstand high voltage shocks. VPI is tested to withstand high voltage shocks. VPI Laboratories offers this type of testing. They have an electrostatic discharge (ESD) gun that converts house current into high voltage electrostatic energy. The tester then shocks the device various times to make sure that it will hold up to testing.
Safe reliable designs are not created by happenstance. They take careful planning and execution. VPI is careful to design devices that pass regulatory requirement for safety and reliability. We have in-house testing facilities, that make it simpler for us to perform necessary testing.