Electronic Product Development
Whether your project is large or small, VPI has the resources and engineering teams to help you get your project completed. VPI tackles both complex and simple engineering tasks, and we are certified to ISO:9001:2015 quality standards.
VPI generally performs work on a project in five phases each having clearly identified objectives, tasks, and deliverables.
- Phase I – System Design
- Phase II – Prototype Design
- Phase III – Final Design
- Phase IV – Pre-Production
- Phase V – Production
VPI and the customer may modify these phases as the project progresses and as determined in subsequent negotiations.
VPI will create a System Specification document that outlines the overall product requirements, high-level system design, analysis of potential design solutions, and recommendations. VPI will also conduct research and selection of major system components and develop initial estimates of the per-unit cost. Industrial design will be conducted.
VPI will design the electrical, software, and firmware systems, needed drivers, and mechanical designs. VPI will assemble working prototypes that follow the design guidelines, taking into consideration manufacturability and cost optimization. Prototypes will be built for testing, analysis, and evaluation purposes.
Designs will be finalized, and manufacturing design and documentation will be completed. Additional prototype units updated with the final design will be built for testing and certification purposes. The design will then be ready to transfer to pre-production. VPI can provide complete manufacturing services through our VPI Manufacturing division. VPI can also provide support, as necessary and as requested by the Client, with setting up manufacturing at a contract manufacturer facility including any production related issues.
The Pre-Production Phase is designed to fine tune what will ultimately become the production standard. In this phase we verify the robustness of production design, fixtures, and jigs. Additionally, we solidify workstation documentation, tolerances, and workmanship standards. In doing this we will better be able to balance the flow of the production line. Out of this will come “Golden Samples” that will be used as quality and performance standards across the production life of the product.
Our goal is to provide a turnkey service for our customers. Typically, we manage the entire supply chain for production runs. We ensure components and raw materials are ordered in a timely manner to prevent production interruptions. We base our supply decisions on our customers’ production forecasts. During the production process, we frequently sample both our raw materials and finished goods per designated AQL standards to verify that the quality of the product being built meets our high standards.
VPI's core offering is providing Electronic Design Services (EDS). We design electronics-based systems and products.
Here are just a few examples of the type of services we provide:
- An organization working on rapid processing of COVID-19 test samples engaged with VPI to provide rapid processing automated algorithms.
- A Fortune 100 company had a division that had very tight deadlines to produce a complex new product. They contracted with VPI to design 2 sub-systems to manage power in their overall system.
- A startup company wanted to design a new imager-based bar code reader. VPI took the product from concept to mass production.
- A large defense contractor needed quick-turn assistance to finish a demonstration system for the military on a very tight schedule.
- A company that provides services to the hearing impaired contracted with VPI to undertake the complete design of a videophone for their ASL relay services.
- We also worked with Fusion Targets to produce an electronic target retriever.